OptumRx drives opioid safety and prevention
Prescribing opioid medications safely: OptumRx opioid updates
OptumRx® introduced a multi-dimensional Opioid Risk Management solution last year to help curb the rising tide of opioid abuse across the United States. We continue to advance our solution suite to not only stop abuse before it starts, but also prevent progression to misuse and addiction - and support individuals in their recovery.
As part of our commitment to drive opioid safety and prevention through engagement, smart prescribing and ongoing monitoring, we've made some enhancements to our utilization management and point-of-sale edits. These updates align with the new Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines released in 2016, as well as clinical-based prescribing recommendations for Morphine Milligram Equivalent (MME) dosing.
As a prescriber, you play a crucial role in patient care. You can help reduce opioid misuse and addiction through ongoing communication, engagement and helping patients better understand their opioid medications, risks and alternative therapies.
What you need to know
Point-of-sale edits may include:
- Short-acting opioid quantity limits [Click on link]
- Long acting opioid medical necessity prior authorization [Click on link]
- Opioid cold and cough opioid quantity limits [Click on link]
- Enhanced CDUR opioid safety edits at point-of-sale [Click on link]
- OptumRx Home Deliery Pharmacy New Opioid dispensing Limits [Click on link]
Additional Prescriber Education
Additional Health Care Professional Opioid Resoures
- Assessing Patient Risk
- Continuing Education
- Medication Assisted Therapy (MAT)
- Non-opioid Chronic Pain Treatments
- Opioid Storage and Disposal
- Patient Resources
- Tapering Opioids for Chronic Pain